– MINITRENDS: How Innovators & Entrepreneurs Discover & Profit From Business & Technology Trends — A great “how-to” book providing tools and resources to help readers discover and profit from emerging trends that will soon become important in their areas of interest and passion. The book includes nearly 100 URLs and many other suggestions for readers to find information.
– MiniTrends LinkedIn Group — Share your thoughts on your own minitrends, experiences, and resources with other group members.
– Minitrends Blog, Facebook, and Twitter
– MiniTrends Opportunity Wheels — We highly recommend the Opportunity Wheel is an excellent multi-purpose MiniTrends discovery and exploitation tool.
— In the Age of Imagination, Small Trends Have Big Impacts by Dr. John Vanston:
– Nine Emerging MiniTrends to Watch by Dr. John Vanston:
— Turn on Automated Alerts to Tune Out Information Overload When Monitoring Trends by Steve Pearson:
– Put Aggregators to Work for Quality, Timely Info When Trend Searching by Steve Pearson:
More MiniTrends Resources
Associations organized for the analysis of emerging trends include:
- World Future Society
- Association of Strategic Planning
- Rand Corporation
- Institute for the Future
- International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
- Centre for European Policy Studies
- Economic and Social Research Institute
- The Club of Rome
- The National Institute for Research Advancement
- Association of Professional Futurists
- Strategic Planning Society
Business and Technology Updates from Individuals – Visiting these sites regularly can often suggest interesting MiniTrends.
- Make Something Happen – Seth Godin
- CNET live
- Cranky Geeks, (video clips are proceeded by an advertisement)
- Walt Mossberg’s Personal Technology
- Pogue’s Pages
Top Lists – One way to discover MiniTrends is examining the comments and actions of people with non-traditional visions and the ability, resources, and contacts to make these visions come true. Here are a few publications that feature current leaders, as well as those just beginning to exert influence:
- Inc. magazine’s 2010 Tops Lists
- Time’s 2010 The World’s Most Influential People
- Fortune’s 2012 50 Most Powerful Women in Business
- PCWorlds’ The 50 Most Important People on the Web
- CNN Money’s 50 who Matter Now
- E-Week’s 100 Most Influential People in IT
More Suggested Reading by John H. Vanston:
Technology Forecasting: An Aid to Effective Technology Managementby John H. Vanston, Ph.D. This management guide details technology forecasting techniques that contribute to better decision making.
Five Views of the Future™, A Strategic Analysis Framework: Overview and Methods – COMPLIMENTARY — Signature Technology Futures, Inc. White Paper by John H. Vanston — TFI has developed this strategic analysis framework to allow maximum advantage of a large variety of proven methods when conducting technology/market forecasts.
Testing the Tea Leaves: Evaluating the Validity of Forecasts by John H. Vanston, Ph.D. and Lawrence K. Vanston, Ph.D.– COMPLIMENTARY –This article appeared in the The Industrial Research Institute’s (IRI) prestigious journal Research-Technology Management and provides a set of tools that can assist in discriminating between good and bad forecasts.
Better Forecasts, Better Plans, Better Results http://minitrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/better_forecasts.pdf by John H. Vanston, Ph.D.– COMPLIMENTARY — This article appeared in The Industrial Research Institute’s (IRI) prestigious journal Research-Technology Management and provides a more in-depth description of TFI’s signature Five Views of the Future™, A Strategic Analysis Framework mentioned above.
Introduction to Technology Market Forecasting by Lawrence K. Vanston, Ph.D. and John H. Vanston, Ph.D. Written by leading technology forecasters, this book includes discussion and examples of several substitution models including the Fisher-Pry and Gompertz models.
Please visit John H. Vanston’s Amazon Author Page for a complete listing of his publications.
Other Suggested Reading:
Practical Tips for Forecasting New Technology Adoption by Lawrence K. Vanston, Ph.D.– COMPLIMENTARY –This article appears in the prestigious international telecommunications journal Telektronikk and provides advice for addressing issues for successful forecasts.
Megatrends: Ten New Directions Transforming Our Lives by John Naisbitt — The Classic!
Microtrends: The Small Forces Behind Tomorrow’s Big Changes by Mark Penn and E. Kinney Zalesne
Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day by Dave Evans
Communication Technology Update and Fundamentals, Twelfth Edition edited by August e. Grant and Jennifer H. Meadows in association with Technology Futures, Inc.
A New Telecommunications World by Lawrence K. Vanston, Ph.D.– COMPLIMENTARY — Report discusses the disappearing narrowband voice services market and gives forecasts of the probable telecom future.